PDA
View Full Version :

Pressurized oil tank and rebuilt furnace burners.

Gadget
07-25-2009, 06:28 PM
I got a new tank of argon yesterday so I could complete my pressurized oil tank.
I also rebuilt the oil burner and gas burner. They hook to the nozzle with a pipe coupler so I can change back and forth easily.
I joined the walls and base of the furnace with furnace cement in the hope of reducing the oil smoke that came from this joint.
I pressure tested the tank to 40PSI and an hour later it hadn't dropped any.

Dan

Gadget
07-25-2009, 06:30 PM
Continued photos.

KHK
07-25-2009, 11:36 PM
So I gather that you have two ways ti fire the furnace, oil or propane. Right??
You put the oil into the pressure tank to presurize it for better airation of the oil??

The weld on the tank looks good!

Gadget
07-26-2009, 06:37 AM
That's right Keith. I can use propane in the winter when I have to have the garage closed and oil in the summer when I can melt outside or near the main door with it open.
Pressurizing the oil will keep the oil flow more even and will keep it flowing when cold. A sealed tank also eliminates oil spilling (something I have a tendency to do).
Also, pressurized oil will reduce the needed air flow so once the furnace gets hot I can shut the compressed air off and just use the blower.
Dan

torqueman
07-26-2009, 01:37 PM
Dang Gadget your welds are looking good. Have you done a melt yet with the new burner?

Gadget
07-26-2009, 01:55 PM
Only enough to melt what was left in the bottom of the crucible from the last melt. I didn't have enough oil for a full pot melt. No smoke though so I think I can safely proceed with the oil burning. Will switch to propane for the winter when the furnace has to be inside.
Dan

---------- Post added at 03:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:40 PM ----------

Dang Gadget your welds are looking good.

The welds are also air tight, the tank holds pressure overnight.
Dan

ksmeggy
10-19-2009, 02:40 PM
Interesting. Thanks for posting the photos.

bradler451
12-28-2009, 07:28 PM
you think an hour is good enough to test for pressure? Because i wanted to build a aluminum intake manifold for my car and i want to make sure my welds will hold under boosted conditions!! but i guess welds are pretty strong it looks good man!!!!

Gadget
12-28-2009, 07:32 PM
I finish a melt within an hour so if it will hold that long it is fine for my use.

bradler451
12-29-2009, 05:16 PM
haha i hear ya I was just wondering thank you!!!