PDA
View Full Version :

Very tempting

Gadget
07-23-2009, 08:19 PM
I stumbled on this video and from there to the website for home built tanks. I really enjoyed my experiences with tanks in the Army so the thought of building one is tempting. I am a bit leery of the cost though.
Here is the video and link to the website.
Dan

www.scaledtanks.com
fkFMeQCqMxo

matteh99
07-24-2009, 06:04 AM
Those do look cool. I like the potato gun or whatever it is shooting.

A while ago I saw a TV show on a guy who collects real antique tanks. He said you can get old broken tanks for about what they would go for just for their scrap metal. Of course they are a royal pain in the neck to work on. Armor plating and 50 years for it to rust together. :) I can't imagine finding spare parts is easy either. And there the scrap metal price of a tank can be that cheap.

BearNPum
08-26-2009, 09:43 PM
Looks like fun. If I only had one hobby and that was it, then it might be entertaining.

I saw some tank show on the tube one time, and if they couldn't got one of the old beasts running well, they chucked the engine and installed a Cummins Diesel in them as I recall. The engines were all pretty well "containerized", so you just undo a few parts like driveline, fuel, and exhaust, and hoist out the engine box, and drop a new box in it's place.

LONGEVITY
08-26-2009, 10:16 PM
Dan,

I sent you a link of a customer that manufactures these. Did you get the email?

It would be cool to have one of these toys in the garage!

Simon

Gadget
08-27-2009, 12:33 PM
I got the message Simon. As much as I would like to do a build, I probably won't. No place to put it, no place to drive it, and according to my wife, no money to build it. ;-)

LONGEVITY
08-27-2009, 04:05 PM
Dan,

You are probably right. A tank on the freeway would upset all the anti gas guzzlers.

Simon

torqueman
08-27-2009, 04:49 PM
Ya but people would sure get the hell out of your way. :)

JJW
08-27-2009, 05:02 PM
Very creative people out there.

The 2/5th scale looks like the perfect size.