PDA
View Full Version :

Video of oil fired burner at startup.

Gadget
07-18-2009, 04:46 PM
Here is the burner startup. I have the oil in an old pressure sprayer can to give slight pressure to the oil. A shallow 1/2" pan is in the bottom with an ounce or so of oil and an oil soaked rag.
Lit with a butane torch easily.
Dan
sSbmDn_x3Io

KHK
07-18-2009, 05:30 PM
Looks good Dan!! How hot will this furnace get? What material is the furnace made of?

Gadget
07-18-2009, 05:38 PM
It should go to about 2000 degrees Keith. Furnace is made of refractory cement and is three pieces. Base, wall, and lid. The smoke is coming from the joint between the base and wall. This was my second melt and I am still learning. I found out that when you open the furnace you should be using a face shield. The furnace will flame up quite high. Lost part of an eyebrow and eyelash the first time I opened it.
Dan

HerbD
07-18-2009, 06:51 PM
Dan,

The startup is MUCH cleaner than I would have expected and the small amount of smoke overall is amazing. Unless you feel that even that small amount would bother the neighbors, I would say you are doing great.

Unless you live out in the desert here, yards in the cities in Arizona almost all have 6' block walls surrounding the back yard. Probably mainly because most yards have a pool I suppose, but the yards are more private.

I've started collecting hard drives that I disassemble and intend to melt down. I've slowed down on pop cans since I read that there is a lot of plastic liner with the cans and they tend to smell bad when being melted.

Now if I can just get that injector transition piece formed I could fire up the furnace for the first time!

Thanks for sharing the video.

HerbD8)

Gadget
07-18-2009, 06:58 PM
Perhaps I could try waste vegetable oil, it wouldn't smell as bad but I might be accused of starting a bootleg McDonalds. I will try furnace cement to close up the seams and around the tuere (can't find how to spell that word). Hopefully that will keep the vapors in the furnace.

Dan