PDA
View Full Version :

Plasma Cutting oven liner

HerbD
07-11-2009, 04:54 PM
I am planning on salvaging the oven element, wiring and temperature controller from an existing (fairly new) oven/range that has been replaced with a newer one. In fact I have two such ovens to work with. The element and controls will be used in a larger (2' x 2' x 4') powder coating oven.

I was planning on taking the old oven shells to the dump after salvaging element, controls and the door seals, which I will use in the new PC oven.

Since the oven is clean and was hardly used, I thought maybe I would also salvage some of the sheet metal, but a couple of questions came to mind:

- Does anyone know if the oven self cleaning process relies on any special coating to the interior steel? Is it safe to plasma cut through this?

- If the oven has any porcelain surfaces (most of it seems to be paint enameled) does this present any unique cutting challenges?

It is probably easier to just take it to the dump, but I'm a pack rat at heart and always on the lookout for reusable metal.

Thanks for any suggestions.

HerbD :cool:

Gadget
07-11-2009, 05:59 PM
Herb,
I plan on salvaging appliances myself. I would use a paint mask when cutting the oven liner just to be safe but I think is is just heat resistant paint.
Also, if cutting porcelain I would put the porcelain surface away from you in case it flies off.
I think most appliances have baked enamel surfaces now though.
I used the oven element for an aluminum furnace, it worked well but died after about 4 years use. I have converted to propane/waste oil now.
Dan

HerbD
07-11-2009, 06:14 PM
Thanks Gadget, I hate to see good metal go to waste.

The digital control panel seems to be OK too, so I may have one of the fancier powder coat ovens around :grin:

HerbD :cool:

BearNPum
10-05-2009, 03:14 PM
HerbD, give us a pic when you get the oven together. I wouldn't mind doing the same.

HerbD
10-05-2009, 03:59 PM
Just this morning I disassembled the first oven (been away from the shop for quite a while, its too hot to work during the summer in the desert) I was surprised at how easy everything came apart. The controller unit (a neat digital one) and the wiring was organized into a bundle. Since the oven was a stand alone unit I also salvaged the side panels that will be cut and fitted to the powder coat oven.

There are three panes of glass and associated gaskets in the door which I may incorporate into the finished PC oven along with the convection fan, oven light and wire shelves.

I'll post some pictures when I get the wiring installed.

HerbD