PDA
View Full Version :

True Drag Torch

Torch
07-01-2009, 10:15 AM
I have an LP-50D and love it but I'm looking for a true drag torch. Any suggestions or ideas
Thanks, Torch

woofer456
07-01-2009, 04:27 PM
I don't want to sound foolish, but what do you mean true drag torch?
Are you looking for a standoff attachment/
Bob

LONGEVITY
07-01-2009, 11:31 PM
I believe he meant a drag tip that can be seen on Miller, hyperther, lincoln, and other plasma cutters.

However, you can drag our tips as well since the cost to replace them is cheaper than those companies.

Torch
07-02-2009, 09:28 AM
In a welding class I took they had both types of torches. the non drag torch, like mine has a tendency to stick and hang up on the sheet metal. The drag designed torch would glide much easier. I'm guessing it was the material in the tip, but not sure

cashman
01-12-2010, 02:13 PM
I believe he meant a drag tip that can be seen on Miller, hyperther, lincoln, and other plasma cutters.

However, you can drag our tips as well since the cost to replace them is cheaper than those companies.

How long do the consumables last? I ask because I don't know and I would think if there quite a bit cheaper then they wouldn't last nearly as long.

Uncle Ed
01-13-2010, 02:24 PM
I drag my tip all the time on 1/8 and below. Are you dragging too slow or using a low air flow? The metal to be cut should not be sticking to the cutter unless maybe the molten metal is humping up around the tip or getting pushed into the nozzle.

I try not to think of my plasma as a torch or saw. I treat is more like a razor knife. A strong arc, airflow and smooth sure movements - like writing with a marker - give me nice flowing cuts without gouges, hangups or puddles.