PDA
View Full Version :

arc welding aluminum

benecke
05-07-2008, 11:53 AM
Hi,My name is Ronnie.I am trying to find out how to arc weld aluminum.I am new at welding.I was told by a friend if you use a aluminum electrode,and weld on dc in reverse polarity it will work.First is this true and second what is a good inexpensive aluminum electrode to use.

EdKing
05-07-2008, 04:15 PM
I have never tried to stick weld aluminum, and everyone I have asked says it is better to either use the MIG or TIG process for aluminum.

Ed

Tibor27
06-11-2008, 05:54 PM
You can weld aluminum using a stick welder but you can forget about it looking pretty. I would recommend tig welding. It would also be difficult to weld anything thin with the stick. You can even use oxy-acetelyne but you have to have the right flux to protect the weld pool. Nobody really welds aluminum with the stick welder but give it a shot. Ask your welding supplier about the proper rods to buy.

Gaustin
06-23-2008, 01:18 PM
I repaired a Pontoon boat last year with a miller thunderbolt 225 and a biottle of helium on DCSP. It works fine. The AC cleans better and so does DCRP (Also possible to weld with) . Don't beleive all the hype. ACHF has advantages, but it tioo can be a pain. That stray current going through you can be exciting though.

rhett
07-14-2008, 10:59 AM
That stray current going through you can be exciting though.

LOL, it also loosens those metal filings in your teeth. :lol:

Rhett

RayL
07-18-2008, 08:05 PM
That stray current going through you can be exciting though.
:lol: :lol:

Stick electrodes have come a long way. I was forced to try some last year. I forgot what it was I bought (I will look it up Monday if I remember) but they welded so much better than when I had first tried it almost 20 years ago. What I do remember is then, and at my cost they were about $23 a pound.

Gaustin
07-28-2008, 08:49 AM
The aluminum SMAW electrodes I used years ago worked well but were VERY hard to store. They absorbed moisture quickly and the flux melted off of them.

Logosweld
11-11-2014, 06:02 AM
Understand the process of shielded Metal Arc Welding.
Gather the tools and materials you will need to begin welding.
Set up a safe work area, preferably with a table constructed of steel or other non-flammable material.
Prepare the metal to be welded.
Attach clamps to hold your metal pieces together, if need.
Attach the ground clamp to the larger piece of stock that is being welded.
Select the correct rod and amperage range for the work you are attempting.
Turn on your welding machine
Hold the stinger in your dominant hand by the insulated handle, with the rod in a position so that striking the tip of it against the plate you are welding will be as natural a movement as possible.
Select the point where you wish to begin your weld.
Strike the electrode against the surface of the metal, pulling it back slightly when you see an electric arc occur.

Practice traveling across the path of your weld with the electrode until you can keep a consistent arc, moving at a consistent speed, and in line with the path you want to weld.
Practice moving the electrode in a sweeping motion to create a wider bead
Clean your finished weld.

Paint your weld with a suitable rust-preventative primer to protect it from corrosion.

Tigmaniac
12-02-2014, 05:08 AM
Chucke2009 did a video on this subject. He had less than stellar results. The electrodes burnt up so fast he could hardly keep up.