PDA
View Full Version :

40D Plasma and 16GA

kb3gun
06-15-2009, 09:02 PM
All I can say is "WOW". Needed to cut some small panels for my project 1966 Toyota FJ40. Needed to rip a couple of small sheets of 16GA steel.
Lined up a 1/4" thick scrap of wood as a guide. Left the 40D set at 40A and 70PSI from a prior job.
Did a drag cut and pulled as fast as I could. Took less than 2 seconds to cut the 18" length.
As you can see from the pictures that follow, it was as clean a cut as a sheetmetal brake could have done.

http://www.swronline.com/webpics/40d-cut.jpg
There's my straight edge and the cut sheet.

http://www.swronline.com/webpics/40d-cutside.jpg
I call that a clean cut. Maybe a hair to fast, but worked out great.

http://www.swronline.com/webpics/40d-panel.jpg
And this is where they're being used.

I should have purchased this plasma a 18 months ago when I started this project.

Here is a little better view of the project:
http://www.swronline.com/webpics/sofar.jpg

KHK
06-15-2009, 09:32 PM
Looks very good, Thanks for sharing

Gadget
06-16-2009, 05:47 AM
Looks like a fun project, thanks for sharing.
Dan

henrym
06-16-2009, 08:06 PM
there are a couple of old toyotas like that around here. I like em!

kb3gun
06-17-2009, 10:30 AM
I'd been looking for one for a while when a friend offered to sell me his pile of rust. I said "how hard could it be to fix it up". lol
Well, I can now see the light at the end of the tunnel. Drivetrain is done and frame has been blasted and POR15'd. Tub is back on the frame and I have just a few small tub repairs to make before paint. Best part is that my tool collection is growing along with my fab and welding skills.
Thanks for the comments!

JoshF
07-22-2009, 04:43 AM
Sweet. That thing really works.
I see you are off road enthusiast in PA as am I, have you been here (http://outbackoffroadadventure.com/outback04.php) yet?

kb3gun
08-08-2009, 09:29 PM
I haven't been there yet, Josh. When I'm not working, wrenching or welding, I spend most of my time at Rausch Creek (http://www.rauschcreekoffroadpark.org/) in Central PA.

bigtirekaw
08-20-2009, 09:35 AM
I just notice this post. Looks like your project has already come a long way. I like projects like that. Keep updating your progress. Looks great!

BearNPum
08-26-2009, 09:16 AM
Nice project. Just wondering on rebuilding body panels like that - do you keep adding spot welds till it is all filled in, or do you run beads after spotting it in place? Does it all grind up nice and smooth?

BearNPum
10-19-2009, 12:08 PM
I've looked around a bit at some autobody repair info, and figured out the basics of getting this kind of panel work done. I like all the replacement corners and other panels you can by to start with. I'll try some scrap to see how I do.

ksmeggy
10-19-2009, 01:57 PM
A friend of mine is fixing up a pair of FJ-70s, he's trying to get me to buy one of those. I told him I have too many projects already, and not enough room in the garage for another hunk of steel. They're pretty awesome machines though, we've gone off-roading together a few times (I have an old Chevy Blazer).

kb3gun
10-11-2010, 12:18 PM
Yeah, you got to love the Land Cruiser. I finally painted mine a couple of weeks ago. All I have left is bedlining the interior, finishing the brake lines and wiring it up. The end is in sight.

Ascinder
11-11-2010, 09:26 PM
I have a 1967 Nissan Patrol. It is extremely similar to the old FJ-40s. Some hack in the past(mine came off a farm) had welded and bondoed the top of a washing machine lid as a patch panel for the back portion of the left rear fender, so needless to say I'll have to fix that. I also have various rust areas to deal with. I've had it about 4 months and the thing has been nothing but work work work. I have had to replace all manner of things and every time I fix one, three others break. There were only about 2,000 or so Patrols imported to the states, so parts are impossible to find(had to import brake cylinders from Australia). There's pics in my gallery for the curious. Rumor has it that Toyota and Nissan had a closed doors meeting back in the day and came to the agreement that Toyota would get the "offroad" market and Nissan would tackle the car market in the US, hence the advent of the "Z" series of cars and the death toll for US Patrols.

Firefightaz
11-23-2010, 01:16 PM
Wow that is impressive. Are u using 110 or 220? ..... Great pics too!

180guy
03-22-2011, 03:58 AM
Looks good.

kb3gun
04-19-2011, 03:57 PM
Thanks everyone. It's been awhile since I visited this thread. I'm wiring it up now (EZ Wiring generic harness) and believe it or not, I used to like wiring. Not so much now. Once I get the wiring done, it'll be time to get the cage welded in and get it registered for the road. I'm ready to wheel it and get the paint scratched.
Ascinder: I wheel with a few guys with Patrols. Very cool rigs and very capable.
Firefightaz: 220 all the way. 110 would have been more than enough for 16GA, but I wired it for 220, and that's where it'll stay.

rustycase
04-19-2011, 05:50 PM
Fun stuff, exercising the old 4x4's !
When I was logging we had an old FJ that was plumb wore out and beat up and stove in.. worn out 6cyl and street radials...

Chain up all four and drop her into low range and there was NO place she couldn't go ! Well, we did our best to get her stuck, and usually did, but she went MUCH further than any other 4x4 we had...

rc

Nick
04-24-2011, 12:52 AM
Huge fan of the FJ's. There's a reason why they're still in devout service around the globe. :D

The new FJ's are a pita, seats are rock hard, aerodynamics are that of a brick, etc. They do have excellent ground clearance though. :D

Bear, the idea is to fill in everything with small spots/beads without distorting the panel. You work on opposite sections until you fill in the gaps. (While waiting for things to reasonably cool, or using aids) The concept of shrinking and stretching metal barely exists anymore. Combine this with welding, and you're a long way ahead. :D