PDA
View Full Version :

Wahoo I have more part time work

matteh99
06-08-2009, 02:10 PM
I though some of you may find this interesting. I used to work part time for an antique car restoration shop. Business got slow and I moved far away so I stopped working there. The owner got a few more jobs in and working there a few days a week fits into my schedule.

http://www.roadinosaur.com/Site/Roadinosaur.html

He mainly works on pre 1920 american cars. Most of the brands he works on didn't even know existed before I started working there.

Mercer
Duesenburg
HCS
Locomobile
Simplex

And more

Eric

arandall
06-08-2009, 03:02 PM
Eric:
What a blast it must be working there!! Most people have no concept of how advanced some of the old stuff was - and how nicely made and racy - what a privilege to get to work on some of it.

Cheers,
Art R.

matteh99
06-09-2009, 07:02 AM
I met the guy at the computer store I worked at for a few years. He came in and bought a computer. We got talking about cars and he mentioned he was looking for part time help. I worked there for a week or so as a trial period. He liked the way I did things so I worked with him for about a year. Defiantly a case of being in the right place at the right time.

It is great to see automotive history up close and personal. There defiantly were some interesting designs in some of the old stuff. There wasn't a standard way of doing any thing. Some of the stuff is amazingly rough and other stuff is amazingly precise. You also get to see other people's cobbled together fixes and performance modifications.

The machine work can be a bit nerve racking. Most of the parts are irreplaceable antiques so there is a strong motivation not to screw it up :) You can't call napa and get new parts. Heck you can't even get spark plugs from a normal place because they are weird sizes.