PDA
View Full Version :

Welding a band saw blade

JOEBIPLANE
06-01-2009, 08:19 PM
:?: Hey Some body...
My grizley 14 Band saw just had a 3/4" ripping blade ' Pop'.:( Can it be tig welded back together without filler or, if i need filler wht do I use ?
thanks
Joe

Gadget
06-01-2009, 08:23 PM
I saw a post recently of someone who TIG welded razor blades together (sharp edges) without filler. Ill bet it can be done on band saw blades but you may have to back flow them for best results.
Dan

KHK
06-01-2009, 10:41 PM
Yes TIG will work very well. A very small amount of filler will be required. The process....
Weld saw blade
Grind off the extra weld
Aneal the weld, lowest amps possible on welder, ground on one side of the weld, electrode on the other side of the weld. As close to the weld as possible. Allow the weld to become red hot, then stop anealing. Allow to air cool.

magmek
06-20-2009, 06:37 PM
Yes TIG will work very well. A very small amount of filler will be required. The process....
Weld saw blade
Grind off the extra weld
Aneal the weld, lowest amps possible on welder, ground on one side of the weld, electrode on the other side of the weld. As close to the weld as possible. Allow the weld to become red hot, then stop anealing. Allow to air cool.
I think you would do better to just bring it to cherry red and cool slowly to anneal it. It was red hot when you welded it and brittle.

KHK
06-20-2009, 09:43 PM
I have done quite a few using this process. It has always worked for me.

junes
08-12-2009, 07:26 PM
They make special welders just for this purpose. They are based on resistance welders and basically get them cherry pushes them together and then grinds them smoth as a babys behind

robert
12-30-2009, 05:51 AM
I tried doing some metal cutting blades and they didnt cut good is there a trick to it.

weldingtwopotatoes
12-30-2009, 09:58 PM
Tig welding the blade together with Silicone Bronze is another option.

robert
12-31-2009, 04:05 AM
has anyone had any luck with mig.

junes
12-31-2009, 03:07 PM
Slicon bronze us not a good idea it has a low tensile strength and will break very easy.

---------- Post added at 05:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:06 PM ----------

You really shouldn't have to back gas them but anealing them is going to be a must unless you go fast and watch your heat.

Bikespot
01-01-2010, 01:09 PM
Just buy another bland if you dont have experience welding one together dont do it. You can get blades at any size.

weldingtwopotatoes
01-01-2010, 11:25 PM
Slicon bronze us not a good idea it has a low tensile strength and will break very easy.

Silicon Bronze does not have that low of a tensile strength. In addition just Google repairing a bandsaw blade or look at books on metal working and you will see that repairing bandsaw blades with silver solder is common which has an even lower tensile strength than Silicon Bronze. I don't think so many people would use this method if it broke so easily.

frijoli
01-02-2010, 09:59 AM
Just buy another bland if you dont have experience welding one together dont do it. You can get blades at any size.

What if you need to break a blade to cut in the center of something? How do you gain experience if you never do it? :roll:

Clay

Hamstn
01-02-2010, 11:45 AM
you can get blades of any size but if you have an odd ball size saw and do not want to be limited to certian sizes and quality you may find the need to cut one to size to fit. Read a lot of the guys with the HF band saw do this so they can use high quality blades? Also at times it is cheaper to buy a blade that is twice as long as you need, so by cutting it down and welding back together you get two blade on the cheap.

junes
01-02-2010, 01:28 PM
Solder and welding are not the same you can't compare. Solder is much like brazing it's not a fusion weld it's suction and can be stronger I weld silicon bronze alot but just for asthetics because it's weak.

---------- Post added at 03:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:15 PM ----------

Silicon bronze has a tinsile around 50ksi and steel wire is about 70 ksi at least. That's a big difference.

---------- Post added at 03:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:22 PM ----------

I'm not saying it can't be done or won't work I I'm saying it's not the ideal way.

weldingtwopotatoes
01-02-2010, 07:31 PM
Solder and welding are not the same you can't compare. Solder is much like brazing it's not a fusion weld it's suction and can be stronger I weld silicon bronze alot but just for asthetics because it's weak.

---------- Post added at 03:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:15 PM ----------

Silicon bronze has a tinsile around 50ksi and steel wire is about 70 ksi at least. That's a big difference.

---------- Post added at 03:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:22 PM ----------

I'm not saying it can't be done or won't work I I'm saying it's not the ideal way.

I didnít try to compare welding to or say that it is the same as soldering or brazing, I offered up TIG brazing as an alternative option. I donít understand why you are so determined to make it seem like brazing a band saw blade is not a viable option when it clearly is.

When I mentioned using the Silicon Bronze I did so because I remember reading it somewhere but couldnít remember where at the time. It is mentioned and shown in Metal Working Sink or Swim by Tom Lipton on page 74. In addition according to Harris a brazed steel joint can exceed 70,000 psi. Furthermore like I mentioned before, Google brazing a band saw blade, you will see that it is a common practice by a lot of people. If the joint broke so easily I donít think people would be wasting their time. Itís a good viable option for people to have.

junes
01-02-2010, 09:57 PM
Well if you read my previous posts which obviously you didn't I said brazing can be stronger then a fusion weld. Also I never said it can't be brazed or welded with silicon bronze I just mearly said it was weaker. I am a profesional welder and i was just saying that if someone came to me to weld a band saw blade I wouldn't use silicon bronze. Brazing and silicon bronze are two different things you know right.

weldingtwopotatoes
01-02-2010, 11:26 PM
I read your posts thoroughly, and it’s not clear exactly what you are saying. On one hand you are saying “Slicon bronze us not a good idea it has a low tensile strength and will break very easy.”, and on the other hand you said “I never said it can't be brazed or welded with silicon bronze I just mearly said it was weaker.” By saying that Silicon Bronze “will break very easy” is much more than merely saying it is weaker. It implies that the use of Silicon Bronze or other Brazing alloys are not viable options.

This doesn’t need to turn into a flame war, this started because I was only putting it out there that Silicone Bronze was an option and your follow up post made it seem as though it wasn’t and I simply defended my position, not a big deal. You provide a lot of help to the users on this forum and that is fantastic, but it doesn’t mean that your statements won’t be challenged from time to time, that’s a fundamental part of communication.

junes
01-03-2010, 09:06 AM
I love being challanged. And tig welding with silicon bronze is not brazing. Brazing is with a torch and bronze and brass alloys.

frijoli
01-03-2010, 01:13 PM
I love being challanged. And tig welding with silicon bronze is not brazing. Brazing is with a torch and bronze and brass alloys.

So will TIG welding with silicon bronze break very easily?

junes
01-03-2010, 03:03 PM
Im not going there haha but wouldn't be my first choice.

weldingtwopotatoes
01-04-2010, 08:30 PM

You donít really believe that brazing is limited to a torch do you? Youíre so big on definitions, in fact to use your own words from another post ďIf your going to post definitionsĒ ďthe least you can do is do all the typesĒ.

Gadget
01-04-2010, 08:58 PM
Guys, can we please move on to constructive dialog. I have been debating locking this thread but really don't want to have to do that.

junes
01-04-2010, 09:14 PM
First of all gadget close the thread it's off topic.

Second to clear things up you would only be using the torch to heat the metal you still have to let the filler suck into the joint through capilary action if you melt the metal it's not brazing it's welding. Happy now?

Sometimes due to people like yourself I wonder why I hang around helping people out. I wonder bout your experience as well.

weldingtwopotatoes
01-04-2010, 10:09 PM
Gadget you can do what ever you feel is best. Junes is nothing but rude and has been offensive to several people on the boards from the time that I’ve been on here, which is completely unproductive. Yes, the discussion is off topic because he took it there, I’ve have done nothing but respond to his comments. If he’s going to make jabs at people and comments about welding processes he needs to back it up and in this case he hasn’t at all. As for me I will not make another comment on this thread and I will let it go.

frijoli
01-05-2010, 04:22 AM
I'll put it back on topic.

You can TIG weld a blade together WITHOUT filler if the ends are ground correctly. You WILL in most case need to anneal the weld.

No this is not ideal.

If you twist the blade and hold it flat against itself, with the backbone of the blade EVEN to the teeth, and clamp it before grinding the edges, it will fit almost gap free when you return it to normal.

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/988/bladedemo.jpg (http://img253.imageshack.us/i/bladedemo.jpg/)

Clay

Gadget
01-05-2010, 06:02 AM
Great idea Clay, thanks for sharing.

junes
01-05-2010, 04:58 PM
I have backed it up numerous times. Why don't you just buy a new blade for ten bucks unless you have the proper bandsaw welder.

LONGEVITY
01-05-2010, 04:58 PM
Hi Guys,

Any more posts off topic posts, rude or offensive manner, we will be forced to block you from the particular thread. The thread will remain open, but the offensive user will not be allowed to post in it.

You can argue, but disagreeing and belittling are two different things. There are people who may know more on here, but this is not a contest. We appreciate you helping others and passing your knowledge.

Thank you for your cooperation and for sticking to the topic.

Simon

robert
01-06-2010, 06:23 AM
I welded a blade together with mig i've never learned to tig and it broke then i found out you have to anneal the weld so i tried again it held but didnt cut very good any suggestions.

frijoli
01-06-2010, 02:47 PM
I welded a blade together with mig i've never learned to tig and it broke then i found out you have to anneal the weld so i tried again it held but didnt cut very good any suggestions.

It didn't cut well at the weld, or at all? Typically if you don't get it lined up near perfectly it will tend to strip teeth near the weld.

Clay

robert
01-07-2010, 06:31 AM
It cut for a few seconds then stopped, i used a piece of angle iron to line it up.

---------- Post added at 08:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 AM ----------

I could just buy a blade but i got a roll of it and hate to just get rid of it. I sometimes build recurves and longbows and the fiberglass kills a wood blade quick.

frijoli
01-07-2010, 05:26 PM
It cut for a few seconds then stopped, i used a piece of angle iron to line it up.

---------- Post added at 08:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 AM ----------

I could just buy a blade but i got a roll of it and hate to just get rid of it. I sometimes build recurves and longbows and the fiberglass kills a wood blade quick.

I know it sounds silly, but was it turning the right direction? I know I have done this at least twice in 30 years. Once on a very expensive bi-metal blade.
What were you cutting, and what is the blade pitch?

Clay

Gadget
01-07-2010, 06:27 PM
I got a new blade from HF once, put it on the machine and the teeth were going in the wrong direction. I almost took it back until I realized you can turn them inside out to reverse the cut direction.

frijoli
01-07-2010, 06:30 PM
I got a new blade from HF once, put it on the machine and the teeth were going in the wrong direction. I almost took it back until I realized you can turn them inside out to reverse the cut direction.

This is what happened to me. Typically when you unfold one it opens correctly, but not often enough to NOT CHECK!!
Clay

robert
01-08-2010, 04:56 AM
Its been quite a while since i tried it but i remember i was cutting a piece of mild steel with it maybe it was backwards i'll try it again and make sure that wasnt the problem. Wouldnt be the first time i screwed up and im sure it wont be the last thanks.

frijoli
01-08-2010, 07:42 PM
Its been quite a while since i tried it but i remember i was cutting a piece of mild steel with it maybe it was backwards i'll try it again and make sure that wasnt the problem. Wouldnt be the first time i screwed up and im sure it wont be the last thanks.

If you tried to cut with it backwards, you more than likely destroyed. maybe not, but the times I've seen it happen, the blade was toast.

If you ever get to the point of no screw ups, your dead. :)

robert
01-09-2010, 04:10 AM
I threw that blade away a long time ago so i'll try to do another one.

robert
01-11-2010, 05:19 AM
Do you have to aneal just the weld or so far from each side of the weld.

frijoli
01-11-2010, 05:53 PM

When I do it, I turn it cherry red, about a total of 5/16 to 3/8 wide with the weld bead in the center. Then just let it air cool slowly.

robert
01-11-2010, 06:16 PM
Thats how i done it thanks.

Bikespot
01-11-2010, 06:48 PM

The weld area.

I tried this last year. Didnt have much luck with getting it to work very well. It would break everytime i tried the bend test. Once i got it to work. Kinda hard when nobody knew how to do it.