PDA
View Full Version :

What a Great Day!

HerbD
05-27-2009, 10:35 AM
Just thought I'd share with everyone what a great day I had yesterday. The LS-200P got a workout on a couple of different projects that have been on hold for two weeks.

I used the plasma torch to gouge cut some previous welds that I couldn't get to with a grinder (ugly, ugly welds :roll:) deep in a corner. Then I put a new pass over the joints with the correct type of rod and the right amp setting for the rod. Gaining more experience all the time . . . and a little reading helps too. Actually looks like a real welder was at work here.

It was especially handy to have the plasma torch and the arc welder both available without having to disconnect when switching back and forth. I was told that you should switch off the machine when going from one process to the other, which I did, and of course some of the settings needed to be changed anyway.

After the arc welding project was cleaned up I set up the TIG torch. For the first time I was able to TIG weld and have the finished welds look like they should. It seems like things are coming together at last. Sharpened up some ceriated tungstens, did a proper cleaning job prepping the metal (maybe most important thing), used clamps to bring both pieces together in close contact, checked settings for amps etc, and paid more attention to the molten pool between the two pieces, i.e. watched the two pools merge into one, then more slowly proceeded to move the pool along the joint (much slower than I had been going).

After allowing the two pieces to cool (YEAH! No slag to contend with) I brought the welded piece to my milling machine and shaved a couple of thousanths off the surface. Wow, the surface looks like it was one continuous piece of metal now. Just what I had been hopping for.

If all goes well with the machining, there may be time to powder coat the finished product.

Hope everyone else has a Great Day too :mrgreen:

HerbD 8)

KHK
05-28-2009, 08:48 PM
This is great HerbD!!! To use the multi-function machine properly it takes experence. The more the better!

torqueman
06-21-2009, 02:05 PM
Well Herb I am the other side of that coin. I thought it was a great day the other day. I welded up a seam for a forge I am making. It was fine. I should have known better and left well enough alone. BUT... There was one little spot. Hardly noticeable but it bothered me so I attempted to go back over it and blew a giant hole in the thing.

I got it patched but it sure looks a lot worse with the patching I did than it did before. But if you know me that is about par for the course. :)

HerbD
06-21-2009, 03:47 PM
Hi Torqueman,

Too bad about the blowout, how thick was the metal, were the amps set too high? Was this arc or tig?

I've been very surprised at how slow (inches per minute) I have to go with the tig welder (low amps, thin stainless typically) compared to laying in welding rod with arc.

I'll be interested in hearing more about your forge project. I'm pretty close to firing up my first furnace. Planning on melting aluminum first, then maybe brass. I dismantled a dozen hard drives on Friday. I had started to retrieve the magnets for a magnetic chuck project when I realized that the cases of the drives were aluminum. Weight wise it sure beats all those bags of aluminum cans I've been saving and stomping on.

My stepson brought me a case of solid brass door knobs which I'm holding on to. I'll get some practice in on the aluminum and then eventually make a pattern and pour some brass hopefully.

What are you making in the forge?

HerbD 8)

Gadget
06-21-2009, 04:23 PM
Herb,
What kind of burner are you using in your furnace. I am still getting my waste oil burner tweaked but I think when it is done, I will be able to fire it up without having to preheat with propane.
Dan

torqueman
06-21-2009, 07:02 PM
It was 16 gauge I was welding with MIG. I did some grinding on it and must have gotten it a little too thin for the power. And let me tell you once a hole starts it opens up quickly. :grin: Oh well I am not a welder by trade and probably will never be a great welder because of how little practice I get.

I would like to forge knifes but also want to be able to do other wrought iron work. I don't know what. I guess candle holders and such.

http://home.flash.net/~dwwilson/forge/plan1.pdf (http://home.flash.net/%7Edwwilson/forge/plan1.pdf)

Those are the plans I am using. I have just made the body out of 16 gauge and have added a door on both ends with a pass through for longer objects. I ordered the burner parts as I could not find two inch black pipe locally that was not galvanized. Depending on who you listen to zinc poisoning is possible. Had I to do it over again I might have just ordered the flame holder end in black pipe and done the rest in galvanized I could get locally. Only the end really gets that hot.

Next I need to order the refractory and a gas regulator.

Gadget has been trying to convince me on the waste oil burner. Once I see his working I might be convinced to try that.

HerbD
06-21-2009, 10:52 PM
Hi Gadget,

I'm nowhere as far along as you are with melting metal. Using plans from Lionel Oliver II I've built his flower pot furnace that uses charcoal. Since acquiring an LS200P I've welded an air injector out of stainless tubing that is somewhat unique although untested. Right now the whole thing looks almost too pretty to fire up with the outside metal made from a holiday decorated popcorn can and the rest of the parts made from 20 ga stainless steel. I know it is overkill but you use what you've got, right?

If all goes well with this simple furnace I want to step up to an oil burner probably using a cut propane cylinder so I'm following your progress.

In another post I mentioned that my daughter is a ceramicist and we are experimenting with making different types of crucibles as described by Vince Gingery in his book on Making Crucibles.

Only part left to make is the rectangle to round transition piece to join the fan and burner assembly which is waiting for the metal brake to get finished.

Just in time for father's Day my oldest son finished repairing the speed controller board for my lathe which I had smoked because of the hot weather (105+) and pushing the limits of my small lathe while making the over-center cams for the metal brake hold downs. Now I can weld up the whole mechanism and several projects should move to completion as a result.

The anticipation and excitement never ends!

Keep us up to date on your oil burner progress, please.

HerbD 8)

HerbD
06-21-2009, 11:33 PM
Hi Torqueman,

Haven't had enough experience with mig to offer any real advice, but I did have my share of burn throughs the first couple of times I tried TIG on thin stock. You are right, it just sort of disappears . . . quickly.

The metals dealer in Phoenix has started displaying all sorts of steel shapes, bars, spindles, leaves, grape clusters, etc that look similar to hand forged iron shapes. I think they are used mainly in making ornamental railings, gates, etc. They aren't as unique as individually hammered and worked pieces, but I can see making decorative yard pieces with them. i may try a trellis first and see how that works out.

Please share some pictures when you get that forge running.

HerbD 8)

torqueman
06-22-2009, 04:50 PM
Please share some pictures when you get that forge running.

Will do. I hope to get some shots with cherry red steel in it. :-D

bhardy501
07-30-2009, 08:47 AM
I have had to deal with burn through on projects. Once you burn through stop and let it cool to where its not red anymore. Then hit it with a light arc and let it deposit a little bit of filler material. Let it cool till the red is gone and hit it again on the opposite side. Repeat this process until the hole is filled. You can then grind the big ugly repair down and make a nice clean pass over the site. Takes some practice but it can be done.