PDA
View Full Version :

Why I wanted a TIG welder

matteh99
05-15-2009, 09:02 AM
Last year I bought a 1980 BMW R100 in boxes and put it together over the winter. It runs and drives but I wanted to do some custom parts for it. I started on a tank. I mig welded it together and surprise surprise it leaks. Everyone I have talked to says that TIG welding is the way to go for that sort of thing. I basically have a bowl made.

http://gallery.me.com/matteh99/100036/P5200032/web.jpg?ver=12347387630003

More pictures of the bike and the rest of the project.

http://gallery.me.com/matteh99#100036&view=grid&bgcolor=black&sel=10

KHK
05-15-2009, 09:31 AM
From experemce, you must have at least one hole in the tank so that it will not build up pressure, making welding impossible. Normaly the hole would be the fill hole

matteh99
05-15-2009, 09:39 AM
A tank with no holes would be a bit difficult to gasoline in and out of wouldn't it? :-D

I need 3 or 4 holes. Two to let gasoline out one to get it in and a possible vent hole.

atcig
05-22-2009, 06:43 PM
What changes are you going to make besides the tank?

matteh99
05-23-2009, 04:07 PM
I am not sure yet. I was thinking of doing angular fenders and battery covers. I am not really sure. I bought the bike so I could have a continual project to work on. If I ever get the tank done I will post pictures. I think I am going to start over on the tank. It was pretty easy to get the pieces cut out and the metal I am using is a bit thin. I think it is around 21 gauge. I also have some 16 gauge but that seems a bit thick. I would like to find some 18 gauge and use that instead.

KHK
05-23-2009, 05:27 PM
A tank with no holes would be a bit difficult to gasoline in and out of wouldn't it? :grin:

I need 3 or 4 holes. Two to let gasoline out one to get it in and a possible vent hole.

I have seen people attempt to weld a tamk with out any holes in it, with the intent of drilling the holes later. This does not work to well!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

matteh99
05-26-2009, 07:58 AM
I have seen people attempt to weld a tamk with out any holes in it, with the intent of drilling the holes later. This does not work to well!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

My plan was to make a top half and a bottom half and then weld them together. What gauge steel would you recommend? I was thinking 18 gauge. I have some 22 gauge which seems a bit thin.

Eric

KHK
05-26-2009, 08:38 AM
I think thaty 18 ga would be great. Strong and easier to weld.

FYI, you will need to tack weld the seams before continuesly welding them. Try to keep the heat low to minize warping.

You are creating a one of a kind tank, good luck!!

torqueman
06-11-2009, 05:30 PM
Leave room for a vent tube. I have seen tanks crumple in because the vent hole gets plugged. As the gas gets sucked out by the engine there is no air coming in to take it's place. 16 gauge is most common.

Look up Ron Covell's "Making Motorcycle Gas Tanks" DVD. I bought it a few years ago and it was very good. I never did get a frame to start building.