PDA
View Full Version :

Setup for plasma cutting

1joule
05-08-2009, 08:01 PM
I am setting up my ls-160p and the plasma torch has a bare wire coming out the end where you hook it to the machine. So what I have is the air line, the connector, and this bare wire. Is the bare wire a ground?

Thanks
Mike

KHK
05-08-2009, 08:34 PM
The wire is connected to the pilot post on the welder. It is not ground.

1joule
05-10-2009, 08:56 PM
Thanks Keith,
I got it setup today and actually made a cut in 1/4" steel. Works great although I have some observations. When air is coming out of gun there will be no pilot start and no cutting. There was about a 10-15 sec wait for auto shutoff of the air. Can this be an automatic feature for air cooling? The settings would only show a change using the gas test feature and I was using a 25 setting. When in auto it was 7. I am pushing about 70 psi on the gauge on the back of the machine. Once I had forgotten to turn on the compressor and only had 20 psi. The unit would not start until I had turned the compressor on again and got the pressure back up.I hope I'm on the right track and obviously more practice and experience are needed.

This little video was a great help
YouTube - Longevity Welder Plasma Cutter WeldMax LC-416D Instructional Setup Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsXfleJI1og)

KHK
05-11-2009, 07:22 AM
The post gas knob will adjust the time that air will pass through the cutter AFTER the plasma switch on the torch is released. During this time the plasma current is turned off. You will see the piolot arc only at the start of the cut. The same thing will happen in the TIG mode although the current for TIG is NOT shut off with the realease of the torch switch. Yes you are correct that this is an automatic feature of the machine and it is intended to cool the torch.

If you want to be entered in the free welder contest you will need an avator.