PDA
View Full Version :

What would you build if money time and space were no issue.

Gadget
05-07-2009, 07:33 PM
Ok guys, what is your dream project if money, time, and space was not an issue.
I don't have a major "wish I could" type of project but I would like to have a couple of CNC machines. I would build a larger CNC Plasma table with torch height control and a water table. I would also modify a mill and lathe for CNC. I don't know what I would do with them other than play but they sure would be fun.
I have a small home built CNC plasma table now and really have fun with it. The challenge of going from concept to part is really the fun part of CNC. Once you have the process for a part down it is really easy to duplicate.
Your turn guys.
Dan

rhett
05-07-2009, 09:40 PM
OK Gadget...
For starters 2ea of all Longevity Products with and endless supply of consumables.
A Steel building @ 80' x 100' (expandable or larger to begin with) with a 20' x 60' overhead crane wit an all smooth concrete floor to house the projects.
A decent steel inventory of all imaginable dimensions, with a decent selection of specialty Aluminum, Stainless Steel and Copper
Tools and more tools, can't have too many of those.
Be at least 40 years younger...!!!!
Custom boats, the kind nobody makes that could almost be used on the road with an asphalt chewing propulsion system... :) (ex: offshore mud boat)

woofer456
05-07-2009, 11:41 PM
Here goes
Like rhett , I would like to be 40 years younger and retired (as I am now). I would like to have all of the skills I am finding I need to teach these young kids welding, I would like enough machines so each kid could have a go at it each day (they are sharing now).
I would like to have good health until I am no longer able to function mentally.
Every thing else I have.
Bob

TyRex
05-08-2009, 07:00 AM
Automated car wash...in my garage.

Automated lawnmower with gps navigation. (Although, I think programmed paths would probably be ok)

5 axis cnc mill. (I NEED THIS)

CNC Waterjet

KHK
05-08-2009, 07:11 AM
I like the 40 year reduction in age, but money can't buy that.

This would be the short list, a long list would take days to compile!
1) A large area to work in. maybe 60 x 100 ft (HEATED and AIR CONDITIONED) with plenty of 16 ft doors. 14 - 16 ft cieling. 5 ton over head crain.(walli to wal electric) lKitchen and bedroon.(when I get band from the house)

2) Cat / light truck lift.
3) 25 HP air system, refidged air dryer. (Externial to main shop)
4) New, lathe, Vert mill, dril press, cut off saw
5) Complete set of sheet metal tools. Break, sheer, etc.
6) Longevity 200P and Longevity MIG machines.
7) 5 ft x 10 ft CNC table
8) Large supply of steel, stainless steel stock
9) Enough MONEY to maintain the above!!!!!!!!!

arandall
05-08-2009, 09:44 AM
Yeah!! - -all of the above!!! Plus the ability to be able to work with some of you guys. Now that would be fun.

Art R.

technomitch
05-08-2009, 10:27 AM
The short list is the sweetest KHK !! Hard to pick my favorite . . . All the steel you need is a biggie . . no more scrounding !!!

bhardy501
05-09-2009, 09:16 AM
Thats easy, 41 Willys Coupe, Seriously fat tires tucked under neath the back. 500+ Cu. In. Big Block Chevy with a ridiculosly large Supercharger sticking through the hood. Lots of custom, one off parts. This car would be a driver, no "Trailer Queen" here. I would also have a huge shop with lots of cool tools and equipment. Then on to the next hot rod on my list.

strube1369
05-09-2009, 06:03 PM
Had this conversation with my crew when I was still on the job. We all bought lottery tickets and talked about if we won. My answer is the same now as it was then: Ya see that 91 Astro van in the parking lot? I'd put me one sweet stereo in it...

klleetrucking
05-14-2009, 01:42 PM
A shop so far into the countryside that I'd never hear a barking/howling dog again!

bradler451
12-28-2009, 07:33 PM
I would build a roll cage in every car I have!!!!!!

Hamstn
12-29-2009, 06:47 AM
Well 40 years younger would be nice but I would be smarter. Retired heck yes.

Never thought about the question much. I am in the process of building up the inside of my new shop so tools are a big thing on my mind now. New welders, mill, cnc, and overhead crane. Right now for a project I would like to build a hybrid ultra light desert racer/ rock crawler/ buggy. Something on the lines of a RZR but slightly larger and much more HP. If you look at my pics I have one of my 91 Isuzu Trooper II that I turned into a UTV. Now I am planning one to use a trooper or Subaru to make more of a sport model.

Why do you need a roll cage in all your cars? have a habit of rolling them or just the bling factor?

bradler451
12-29-2009, 05:06 PM
haha i just like the rigidity of having it!!! I have never flipped but i like to be safe. Haha i love the bling haha but no i like the style, safety, sometimes depending on where u link the cage, you can improve handling or body roll. I just like em haha I am not practical at all. Just gut em and roll haha one seat!!!!

matteh99
12-29-2009, 07:01 PM
I would like to design and build a car from scratch. I work on antique cars and they are pretty simple. It makes me think that with an aluminum foundry and access to some off the shelf parts like gears, bearings, valves and seats it would be possible to build and design my own car. Of course it would suck compared to modern cars but it would be an interesting project.

Eric

Gadget
12-29-2009, 07:26 PM
You would need a pretty big furnace for your foundry. Mine has a 7 pound AL capacity, you can't make a very big casting with that.

matteh99
12-29-2009, 07:40 PM
Maybe I will do a motorcycle instead :) Everything will be smaller.

Eric

torqueman
12-30-2009, 03:58 PM
I would like to restore older motorcycles. The problem is today a restored 60s or 70s triumph is not that much more than a barn fresh one. The internet has made it easy for people to find the true value of these old bikes.

I guess I would like to try a car build too. Something like a 30s ford coupe with a chopped roof. I would even do a kit and actually think that might be the best way to go. But money and time are real barriers to my fun. Come on lottery!

frijoli
12-31-2009, 08:14 PM
I make custom parts for my Triumph, but I'd like to have more time to do it, and the money I get from working now without working.

A custom motorcycle parts shop!

Bikespot
01-01-2010, 01:09 PM
Everything and anything haaa

Nothing really on my mind right now , probably my own big place.

jbman45
01-01-2010, 01:14 PM
An easy answer....you can't have too big a boat! 32 foot world cat would be next on my list!

SICFabrications
08-20-2010, 06:32 PM
if i had the time and the money....hmmm..... i would finally shut my truck down and build the flat bed for it.....it's funny tho, when you have the time, you usually dont have the money, and when ya have the money, well.....no time cause yer workin too danged much

tjjolle
08-21-2010, 10:32 PM
I think I would enjoy having some sort of 'I-Beam' Crane system in my garage to lift and move heavy objects. I havent needed one yet, but Im sure if I had one Id find a reason to use it.

SICFabrications
08-21-2010, 11:59 PM
tjj, i built some a-frame hoists for an auto salvage you pull it kinda place... they used 10 ply medium duty truck tires and a steered end. built out of w-6 i beam... if you want, i can head over there next week sometime (hopefully) and detail one out again, so that i would have the prints.... i can remember after it was all said and done, i had 2600 bucks into each one... not including labor. i sold them for 6k per unit

ahack3r
08-22-2010, 01:50 AM
1)a giant workshop/office/mancave
2)a fleet of remote control drone missiles
3)a delorean, ground up with factory parts

weldingtwopotatoes
08-22-2010, 03:06 AM
If I had the money and time I'd build a fully automated stainless 10 gallon home brewing setup. Nothing better than your own homemade beer :)

tjjolle
08-22-2010, 11:17 AM
I would love to see plans for something like that. You are so lucky to be able to do this for a living and get paid to play with the toys. Thats quiet a shop you have also.
tjj, i built some a-frame hoists for an auto salvage you pull it kinda place... they used 10 ply medium duty truck tires and a steered end. built out of w-6 i beam... if you want, i can head over there next week sometime (hopefully) and detail one out again, so that i would have the prints.... i can remember after it was all said and done, i had 2600 bucks into each one... not including labor. i sold them for 6k per unit

SICFabrications
08-22-2010, 02:25 PM
I would love to see plans for something like that. You are so lucky to be able to do this for a living and get paid to play with the toys. Thats quiet a shop you have also.

the problem with doing this for money, is sometimes you get hungry and lose the creative fun that working with metal has to offer..... it's like it becomes a job or something....lol...

it is the same with any contractor, work your fool tail off during the summer and then live off what you made during the winter. i got very lucky early in my career and came across some really great deals on machinery, but i had to make several repairs.... for example, the legend200 engine drive that i have. i worked for a shop that was going to throw it out, i gave them the scrap iron value of the machine (100 bucks) and took it home. rebuilt the carb, replace fuel lines, fabbed the throttle linkage and tuned it up. i ran off that machine for 5 years.... in the meantime, i bought other machines, none of which were brand new and had to make several repairs to them. heck, i even donated a marriage to standing underneath a welding hood for too many hours....

it all comes down to priorities, perseverance, and an extreme willingness to get dirty...

jakazz
08-25-2010, 09:33 AM
the problem with doing this for money, is sometimes you get hungry and lose the creative fun that working with metal has to offer..... it's like it becomes a job or something....lol... i even donated a marriage to standing underneath a welding hood for too many hours....

Couldn't agree more than that, would love to make some of my hobbies a business, but would taint it

i even donated a marriage to standing underneath a welding hood for too many hours....

Thats funny @#$%@#$%@#$%@#$% right there..........

ISKI
08-31-2010, 07:29 PM
Ford GT40 from scratch in polished aluminum. Shelby Daytona Coupe in polished aluminum, and a 427 Cobra roadster in you guessed it polished aluminum. I want to make the shape of all of the aluminum curves and weld them together to make the body. I would make the chassis from stainless and aluminum panels.

Ok, time to wake up and start grinding the fiberglass.

arandall
09-01-2010, 01:17 PM
Ford GT40 from scratch in polished aluminum. Shelby Daytona Coupe in polished aluminum, and a 427 Cobra roadster in you guessed it polished aluminum. I want to make the shape of all of the aluminum curves and weld them together to make the body. I would make the chassis from stainless and aluminum panels.

Ok, time to wake up and start grinding the fiberglass.

Isky:
Your taste is impeccable.

Cheers,
Art R.

Freddytk421
09-01-2010, 06:24 PM
I'd build the Starship Enterprise . or maybe that women from Weird Science.

SICFabrications
09-01-2010, 06:52 PM
or maybe that women from Weird Science.

ummmmm.....dang right!!!! let me know when you do, i wanna know how =))

poodle
09-01-2010, 08:29 PM
I would build me a shop. I had a nice new 24x30 insulated shop when I was transferred here. I sure miss that thing. Till I get my son out of collage everything is on hold.

Bluesman
09-02-2010, 06:53 AM
I need a shop at my house or farm real bad. Like as bad as a dead man needs a coffin bad. I ain't got one. I have my equipment scattered all over creation at the shops of friends and some is at the shop at school just because if I want to use any of it I have to have it at those places cause I don't have a place to use it. I'm a nomadic shop worker.

gilly
09-02-2010, 07:34 AM
I would build me a shop. I had a nice new 24x30 insulated shop when I was transferred here. I sure miss that thing. Till I get my son out of collage everything is on hold.

I built a 24x32 shop on top of a 2 foot concrete wall,because I live on a slope.10ft. high,and I love it.Now I wish I had the money to fill it full of tools,and equipment to work on anything I like.I actually built it out of the pine trees that were all over my lot.Now there's not one pine tree on it.I hate pine straw.

hafa51
01-02-2011, 08:43 PM
I would like all the tools needed to restore Classic Chevy Trucks. An auto lift, Wrenches, sockets that don't break because I bought them at HF and Walmart. Confidence is probably one of the most important thing needed only because I don't know how to perform some of the important functions needed to restore a classic vehicle. I know this has no bearing on the topic but, I wish my Mother-In-Law forgot my Cell phone number!!

Ray

Gadget
01-02-2011, 09:16 PM
, I wish my Mother-In-Law forgot my Cell phone number!!

Ray

HAHAHAHAHA Too funny.

lowlife
01-05-2011, 05:21 PM
Well since my Bugatti Veyron is on hold due to not having enough money to purchase it (ever) I guess I would like to build my 64 GTO that has been in my possession for nearly 30 years .....I have never driven it.....I am acquiring parts for it at a leisurely rate however. Handling and suspension kit. 5 speed tranny with a Long slap shifter, Shes a Cali car and hasn't seen the street in nearly 40 years......Sigh!

She was complete when I bought her but being a kid I took it apart to redo every nut and bolt....then I had kids.....

arandall
01-05-2011, 05:26 PM
Lowlife:
The old goat should be a nice one! My memory is fading a bit. Is a '64 the bow-tie tail-light model? 389? - - adn yeah - my Veyron doesn't seem to be happening either, but a nice Aston DB9 or Vantage would suit just fine too.

lowlife
01-05-2011, 05:39 PM
No 64 has "normal" taillights. Yep to the 389....tripower too......I can live with an Astin Martin,,,,just twist my arm a little

Stew D Baker
01-30-2014, 12:11 AM
Hi Guys Long time
I would build my own version's of the LSA = Light Sport Aircraft, Super STOL This thing makes the old style bush
planes look like a DC 9 for take off and landing LOL
original plane is from the Just Air Mfrg Co
The Kit plane is the Highlander that can be retrofitted with the new slated wing for lower stall speed, I have seen video
of contest for shortest takeoff and landing in a head wind, something like 30 Ft landing, and almost the same for the takeoff, they also show it landing on a mountainside at a 50 - 55 Deg slope, new owner says he thinks a monkey can fly this plane.
anyway this plane is on the Bucket List Fow Sho

Stew D Baker
01-30-2014, 01:14 AM
I would like all the tools needed to restore Classic Chevy Trucks. An auto lift, Wrenches, sockets that don't break because I bought them at HF and Walmart. Confidence is probably one of the most important thing needed only because I don't know how to perform some of the important functions needed to restore a classic vehicle. I know this has no bearing on the topic but, I wish my Mother-In-Law forgot my Cell phone number!!

Ray

most of the important tools can be had from garage sales, adds in penny saver, pawn shops, swap meets,
any tool can break, just ask me how I know, LOL,
But don't let that stop you from building your dream, a good set of impact swivel sockets, also open, and box end
SAE or Metric wrenches should get you started, don't forget the Left handed hammers, Priceless
but the most important tool of all is The One that You Don't Have because you lent it to your neighbor, brother in law
whatever, when it comes to my tools, they are all SOL
As for the Mother in Law calling you, That's why you have Voice mail and caller ID
Or Maybe, well Nevermind

65falcon
01-30-2014, 10:11 AM
I would love to build a nice 40' x 80' ish new shop just for prototyping and building small production runs of whatever I like. CNC mill, CNC plasma, waterjet and CNC routers of course - a full selection of Longevity welding/cutting equipment as well. And a car hoist would be essential.

Also to be able to open it as an after school program to elementary/high school kids. Would like to expose more kids to all the cool and interesting things that can be done with a little imagination in a hands on environment. I think this is sadly missing from the current school age experience. We need more kids interested in making stuff and everything that goes into it - design, research, prototyping, robotics etc.

PW

Stew D Baker
01-30-2014, 01:40 PM
I would love to build a nice 40' x 80' ish new shop just for prototyping and building small production runs of whatever I like. CNC mill, CNC plasma, waterjet and CNC routers of course - a full selection of Longevity welding/cutting equipment as well. And a car hoist would be essential.

Also to be able to open it as an after school program to elementary/high school kids. Would like to expose more kids to all the cool and interesting things that can be done with a little imagination in a hands on environment. I think this is sadly missing from the current school age experience. We need more kids interested in making stuff and everything that goes into it - design, research, prototyping, robotics etc.

PW

I was talking to a friend I went to school with, and he was telling me that the machine shop, metal shop, and
automotive shop had been cut from school curriculum in the Anaheim Union High School District. In Orange County California Those programs were the only reason I was interested in going to school at all, because I knew I could use those skills to make a living in case the Rock n Roll thing didn't work out LOL,
Good On Ya for wanting to teach a trade that is fast becoming a lost Art. Once you learn it, you can go almost anywhere in the world and find a job.
I Dont have the patience to teach, but I sure love to spin those dials, and im sure my skills will come in handy while I build the airplane of my dreams.
For your protection, it might be a good idea to have cctv installed, so there is no question of your integrity, Many Great people have been thrown under the bus and ruined by false accusations, Even though there heart is in the right place. I Hope you will not be one of them. Just Sayin

Burtonbr
01-30-2014, 01:49 PM
If Money was no object I would first build a CNC table for plasma cutting, then probably a Ironworker of some type, as the few I've looked at don't have the features I would like untill you get into major bucks.
I figure if I had those 2 machines to use I could make about anything else I could find a need for...

3d914
02-10-2014, 08:33 PM
As far as projects go, I can think of several.
1) I'd take a totally different approach to the streetable dragster.

Lightened Porsche 914 mid-engine steel unibody
Reinforced steel tubing
Fiberglass body panels
Total weight under 2000 pounds
Aluminum V8 with twin turbos
500hp, 400ft-lbs torque

2) Full metal replica of the Tapiro (Porsche 914 variant)

Steel unibody
Aluminum outer skins
Porsche flat 6, 3.2L

3) Full metal replica of the Hispano-Aleman (Porsche 914 variant)

Steel unibody
Aluminum outer skins
Porsche flat 6, 2.4L
Twin turbo

4) And last, but probably first - my modernized version of the 914

Steel unibody
Steel outer skins - all custom designed
Porsche flat 6, 3.2L
A/C, 8-speaker sound

Rough sketch